Jill K. Wilson
Charlottesville, VA 22901
OBJECTIVE & QUALIFICATIONS
Goal: A management position utilizing my human resources education and experience.
Competencies include: Recruiting, placement counseling, performing job analysis, compliance
and diversity issues, teambuilding, performance review, coaching, adult learning strategies,
developing leadership, designing and implementing training programs, evaluating the return on
investment of HR programs, technology and e-learning, managing organizational behavior and
change, process consulting, knowledge management, and developing learning organizations.
George Washington University, Graduate School of Education and Human Development
Master's degree in Human Resource Development, expected 12/02. Research interests include adult learning,
development, and motivation. Awarded departmental scholarships for academic excellence. GPA: 3.9.
Legal Assistant Certificate, 1991, ABA-approved, 3.6.
University of Wisconsin-Madison, School of Human Ecology
BS Child & Family Studies, 1988. Dean's List. GPA 3.0 (3.5 in major).
Southern Teachers Agency (Charlottesville, VA; August 2002 – current). Part-time recruiter for regional placement
agency specializing in placing teachers in Private and Independent Schools in the Southeastern United States.
- Responsibilities: Perform recruiting and placement counseling tasks. Interfacing with school administrators and teacher candidates in order to make desirable placements.
- Areas of Oversight: Responsible for planning and management of job fair for schools and candidates. Applied HRD knowledge in selecting technology and process-oriented solutions.
LexisNexis (Charlottesville, VA; April 2001 – May 2002)
- Responsibilities: Editor of legal publications. Efforts included interfacing with multilevel virtual team, enhancing
display of content in a desktop publishing environment, coordinating with indexing and manufacturing units to produce quality materials, and recommending process improvements.
- Areas of Oversight: Responsible for NY CLS Advance, a monthly print publication. Assistant Scheduling
Associate for Eastern Region. Selected to participate in a focus group on Leadership in the organization.
CORPORATE LEGAL ADMINISTRATOR
Comdial Corporation (Charlottesville, VA.; Oct. 2000 – April 2001)
- Supervisory Duties: Managed all legal activities for the corporation. Analyzed legal fees, monitored interactions
between internal staff and outside legal counsel, prepared routine SEC filings, and reviewed contracts. Assisted in transition of Corporate Headquarters to new location, outsourcing of products, and closure of manufacturing
- Board of Director and Financial Responsibilities: Attended board meetings, maintained corporate minute
books and permanent corporate files, and administered stock option plan. Served as Assistant Corporate Secretary to the Corporation and its subsidiaries.
- Areas of Oversight Responsibility: General corporate, securities, labor, employment, and intellectual property law. Interfaced with board members, auditors, and legal counsel in a publicly traded company.
Senior Legal Assistant, Litigation and Intellectual Property -- Arnold & Porter (Wash., D.C.; 9/96 – 7/00)
Legal Assistant, Insurance Litigation -- Hogan & Hartson (Wash., D.C.; 7/95 – 8/96)
Legal Assistant, Government Contracts -- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius (Wash., D.C.; 12/92 – 6/95)
Project Assistant, Construction Litigation -- Watt, Tieder & Fitzgerald (McLean, VA; 8/90 – 12/92)
- Case Management Responsibility: Managed several large, document intensive, complex commercial
litigastion matters and bid protests -- often involving claims in excess of $100 million. Prepared multiple cases for
trial in District and Appellate Courts, and assisted attorneys during proceedings. Developed paralegal expertise
in various areas of law, including general litigation, patent, trademark, copyright, product liability, insurance
defense, environmental, governmental contracts, construction, and antitrust. Consistently billed 2000+ hours per year.
- Supervisory Duties: Managed the legal assistant activities on assigned cases. Tasks included supervising
multiple cases, building teams of internal and temporary employees, interviewing, hiring, training, monitoring workload, and reviewing performance of staff to effectively meet needs of trial team. Developed and
implemented procedures to standardize litigation support efforts, resulting in increased productivity and efficiency.
Interacted extensively with clients, co-counsel, opposing counsel, expert witnesses, and vendors to efficiently coordinate activities and ensure timely completion of tasks.
PRO-BONO ACTIVITIES & AWARDS
Consistently awarded NCAPA's President's Awards for service to the community and the paralegal profession.
Hogan & Hartson's "1995 Rookie of the Year" award for substantial participation in pro-bono activities.
Student Membership in Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM).
Membership in Legal Assistant Management Association.
Membership in Law Partners, a social and networking group for UVA law students and their spouses.
Volunteer efforts for Caring for Creatures, an animal sanctuary in Palmyra, VA.
I enjoy reading mysteries, running road races (from 5Ks to marathons), and playing tennis.
References available upon request.